Adopt a Family or Senior
Help make this holiday season bright for all families and seniors. Adopt a Family in our community and give them the gift of hope this year.
Phoenix Family's Adopt-a-Family program provide vulnerable families and older adults living in our community with a Christmas they cannot afford for themselves. We match our families and seniors with generous donors who "adopt" families for the holiday. Each sponsor receives information about the family or senior that they are helping along with an individualized wish list. And every gift brought in goes directly to the family or senior that you have adopted.
Every year, sponsors from across the United States email us to adopt a family in their state. While we appreciate their generosity, please know that currently we only offer the Adopt-A-Family and Adopt-A-Senior program in the Kansas City Metro; Columbia, Missouri; and Des Moines, Iowa.
How to become a sponsor
- To adopt a family for the holidays with Phoenix Family, please complete our online sponsor form.
- We will begin distributing wishlists November 14, 2023.
- After receiving your sponsor form, we will contact you with a personalized profile of a family that has requested adoption. The application will provide you not only with general information about the family (names, ages and gender of the children), but also with a short biography of the family or senior that you’re adopting.
- Once you get your families or seniors for consideration, read through the applications and choose which one or ones resonate the most with you and let us know as soon as possible.
- After you receive your wish list, go shopping! You can buy anything or everything on the list — it’s up to you
- Schedule a time to deliver your gifts to our home offices. All gifts should be delivered to Phoenix Family’s Home Office (3908 Washington, Kansas City, MO 64111) by December 17, 2023.
If you are unable to adopt a family or senior, but would like to contribute a family's or senior's adoption, you can contribute here. All funds raised will go towards helping families and seniors in need this holiday season.
Gift Drop Off
Gifts for families and seniors may be dropped off starting November 27, 2023 through December 17.
- To ensure social distancing, we ask that all gifts be delivered to our Home Office and that you schedule your drop-off by reserving a timeslot or by calling Ellen at 816.612.8847. Unscheduled deliveries/drop-offs will not be accepted. For more information about drop-offs, please see FAQ below.
- All items should be dropped off at our Home Office by December 18, 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, we often have groups from a department at work, or Sunday School classes, or extended family groups that choose to work together to adopt a family.
Yes. Each sponsor will receive profiles of possible families or seniors, which tell you a little bit about the family or person who is seeking adoption, the number, ages, and gender of the children and their wish list. We want you to choose a family who “speaks” to you – we find that the more connected you are to the family you’re helping, the better the experience will be for you.
That's amazing! Most of our families range from 2-5 people (1-4 children) and most of our seniors live in a single-person household. Just indicate which size family you’d like to adopt on the sponsor form and we will match you with enough families or seniors to reach your total request.
We send a questionnaire to the family so that they can provide correct clothing sizes, gift suggestions, and food preferences. When you are assigned a family, you will receive that list. We do not promise to supply everything on their list, so you are free to choose how much or how little you want to get for the family.
We have the adoptees indicate what gift cards would be useful for those sponsors who would like to give a gift card. It is entirely up to you as to whether you give a gift card.
In order to maintain privacy for donors and recipients, Phoenix Family volunteers will deliver your gifts for your family or senior.
We will begin delivering gifts to families and seniors two weeks before Christmas, so please bring your gifts to Phoenix Family’s Home Office at 3908 Washington, Kansas City, MO 64111 by Sunday, December 17th. If you are unable to deliver them at that time, let us know and a volunteer will arrange with you to pick them up at a location that is convenient for you.
You can schedule your drop-off, or contact Katelyn Gravley at 816.612.8844.
Gifts will not be accepted if not scheduled for delivery. This is for the safety of all our sponsors and staff. When delivering, vehicles will pull around to Phoenix Family’s lower level parking lot and call Katelyn. Phoenix Family staff members will come outside, and unload the vehicle, then bring the gifts into the office. Sponsors may choose to stay in their vehicle or help direct staff as to what items will be taken.
Absolutely! Nonperishable food for a holiday dinner or throughout the year and cleaning supplies are always needed and very much appreciated by our families.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at 816.612.8844.
We ask that if you aren't able to participate after signing up to please let us know as soon as possible so that we can help them get adopted again.
We strive to contact every sponsor within two busines days. However, if after a week, you still haven't received any information, please call Ellen King at 816.612.8847.
If you would like to adopt a family or a senior resident for the holidays, please fill out our online sponsor form and we will be in touch shortly!